Children in Aman Ghars

Friday, July 22, 2011

Tribute to beautiful souls

A 5 minute journey down the narrow lane,
Which was filthy, filled with putrid smell,
In parallel with the “posh city” we live in,
May be a taint on our beautifully painted “hi class” society,
Realized me “girl my life is in vain”.
On entering, the instant thought was of sigh and disgust,
Aghast by the atrocious lifestyle,
Watering noses and un-bathed kids,
Malnourished children with sullen eyes and shabby hair,
I thought “this place is worst.
To get out of here for me is must”.
I was a nincompoop,
I behaved like an uneducated crook.
Well, what can you expect from a
Mere brand affected puppet like me?
Who was pampered and medicated every time?
For an injury on even knee!!!
Taken aback by the houses made up of straws,
Of dirt infested area,
Of houses with no gates,
Rather they served the purpose of “windows”,
This all took me in awe!!

Well, this is the first part of the story. Of a girl who has always been pampered and whose desires and wishes are always granted. Her reaction takes me by no surprise because every one of us abhors such a lifestyle. But then we realize it’s not given by choice. Our stars must have been very strong or we might have been under the mercy of god, that we are blessed with a beautiful and almost fully satisfied life.
Friends, these children who are unlike us, they need no sympathy because remember they are bestowed with such a life “not by their choice”. They need compassion and love. They are compatible to us in each and every manner except for their destiny.
So, remember they don’t need a helping hand but they need a friend to understand them and the one who can share and divide their grief.

Lost in my thoughts,
I travelled the left out road,
But suddenly it started with heavy down pour.
Confused and scared I searched for a shelter,
Nearby I saw a small school,
Seeing me helpless,
I was beckoned by children,
Who to my surprise
Were disabled.
But they danced, they enjoyed,
They had their own language of happiness
They had in them an undiscovered beauty
And at the same time they made me feel comfortable.
Before leaving the place,
I asked one kid
“Don’t you feel upset and in contented?”
To which he smiled and replied
“didi, we find reasons to smile,
With obstacles every next door,
With emptiness in our lives from twilight to dawn,
“To cry”, we can’t take a while.
This rain is symbolic of our happiness and laughter,
It has become our life
We are not scared of it,
Rather we make it our living source with our wit,
But who cares about the “rain of tears”
That is poured on us by our own “crafter”?”
Tears rolled down by my eyes,
And I as I said,
I realized “girl my life is in vain”
Take some inspiration from these
Who are drowned in miseries and pain?

So, with this poem I salute these kids and their daring souls. They somehow have learnt to smile while crying but it is our responsibility to let them flourish and take them out of their cocoons. Remember, they will never demand or complain because they accept the life as it is. But as a responsible citizen of India it is the responsibility of every Indian to get these children out of “slum and slumber”.
Help them to fly high and help them to reach the pinnacle of success that they deserve. They have everything. But as we say “they need wings to fly”.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment