Children in Aman Ghars

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Runa)Life at Kilkari

 

 “Good Morning Runa Didi! How are you?”


Every time I enter the home's yard  at least fife girls come running, hug me and ask me that question. Then they take my hands and pull me somewhere, happy that I am there, proud, that I can understand them (especially the ones to whom we just taught these phrases).
I think a morning can't have a better beginning, than that.

Since I am working at Kilkari I have the possibility, to see how open the girls are, to experience how they trust me more and more, although we can rarely really talk to each other because we don't really have a mutual language, to give them love and to get even more back.
I see how they start to be interested in English, notice that they start to ask, if and when they have class, that they actually come, that they stay for the whole lesson and that they start to say by choice “Sorry, Didi!” if they have been too naughty.

All of these things are so hard to believe, when you are reminded, where the girls come from and what most of them have already experienced.
Today one girl took away some pencils after drawing and refused to give them back. When I became angry and asked someone to translate  why she refused, she answered:
 “If I give the pencil back to you, will you give it to me ever again?”
She just couldn't imagine, I would forgive her.

These situations are shocking. The make me think a lot about injustice, living standards, social problems and also about myself. It is great how the organisation supports this learning process by offering e.g. night-visits in the field so we can really see, how the children have been living.

When I leave the home, some girls use to bring me to the gate. They wave to me and shout“Good-bye, Runa Didi”. Newly also “Take care!” 


 
Volunteer's Profile
AhRam : "Let me explain more about this beautiful lady.
She is one of our young, passionate and beautiful volunteers from the heart, who is ready to go for every work. If you can meet her you would see how much she adores children and how much she is improving from the inside. Personally, I am very proud of you, Runa! ;)"

No comments:

Post a Comment