Children in Aman Ghars

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

AhRam)The Reason Why I Came to India from Korea


  I am Ah Ram Lee, a Korean girl from South Korea ;)

I am now staying in New Delhi volunteering for the ‘Dil Se Campaign’ which established by Indian people to give the most vulnerable urban street children love and hope. What they actually do is to provide a secure home for those children and also give them educational & medical accesses.

   If someone asks me how and why I came here…  Well, I have lived with a dream of working for people who suffer from poverty, diseases, and insecure environments. ‘Insecure’ means insanitary food, dangerous surroundings like war ongoing areas. Many people mention what we should give back and pay back to society and others who might not have enjoyed things that we have had through our lives.
 That’s not how I decided to do some social works for those people. I just wanted to spend my life to share and deliver love among people. That is my value and I thought if I can do it that would satisfy me ever better than anything. That is how I started these works and how I came here.
  
  In Korea I graduated with bachelor degree in PR(Public Relations) and before I take an entrance exam for master course I have some times so I asked my professor who was from American University. For reference, my professor is teaching IR(International Relations) and travelled most of the countries except for few. She recommended me India and her friend who knew Harsh Mander highly recommended me to contact a crew this campaign. Harsh Mander is a well-known social activist and writer. Later, I found out that he is also a member of National Advisory Council of the UPA government and special commissioner to the Supreme Court.

  
  By the way, under the generous care and hospitality here I am! planning online PR strategies at the Dil Se office. My main job is to promote our campaign through our ‘dil se campaign blog’ so that more young people might have a look what they can do for their own children and the future of India. (Like everyone knows, children are our future so.. :] )
  



   What I faced as soon as I came here were (1)unexpected coldness and (2)embarrassing situations I had never had. I had no time to prepare many things before I came here so I packed 5 t-shirts and 2 zip up hoods following my friends’ advices (who had been to India in summer time I guess). What actually happened in New Delhi was many homeless people helplessly died because of unprecedented cold weather. If I hadn’t brought my sleeping pack dreaming camel safari in desert area, I would not have survived.

   What was more shocking than the extreme cold was street people and children.



I had never faced a woman who was holding a crying baby and ran into the road and begged money. After I know they don’t feed their babies intentionally whether they can or not and make them cry and bring them to the road. That is how they earn money more effectively;; They also bring a piece of prescription for asking money for medicine. Even though, there are free hospitals run by governments. Many of homeless men are addicted to drugs so they simply sell the blanket which was provided by NGOs to buy more high drugs. They don’t bother the cold weather at night ruining their health. There are some horrible stories like Firoza’s ..(If you haven’t looked it check ‘Stories of the street children’ on the right menu)
Streets are full of these kinds of stories and people. The reality was desperate here...





But also I could meet People who wandered around the city from the evening to dawn covering homeless with blankets to prevent them from the deadly cold weather.


People who are living closely with the street people and work for their better lives,
Young volunteers
who came long way from their countries and spend their youth, the most wonderful time in their lives,

Young Indian who share their talents, knowledge and time for the kids in Aman Ghars,,,
The Dil Se Campaign People and those Volunteers,,,
These are the people I met here also, who awake me giving inspiration and positive energy...




I felt that here India looks like bunch of despairs and a hope are standing together holding their hands...


I don't know what I can do here and I think you might not know, neither
But Let me try at least for those children and people of the Dil Se Campaign..!! 

I am the one who has the deep-seated faith in that
believing in hope is the start, the first step of changing the world.

I THINK YOU GOT TO BELIEVE IT TOO!!  ;D


I don’t think I need my ‘Volunteer's Profile
You can Email to rami103@naver.com if you need my help~ :D

3 comments:

  1. :) Thank you for sharing your story with us! -Boeun

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww.....a lovely post AhRam...gimme some time. my post shall soon be there too..;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aakriti! Thanks so much for your comment and your future upcoming post :) and so sad that I couldn't go to kilkari today! but I definitely see you soon!! ;)

    ReplyDelete